The days of the Maurice Lacroix watches with their logo (metal application) on the leather straps are over. Maurice Lacroix moved on to be a serious player in the era of haute horlogerie timepieces. During the recent BaselWorld 2010 exhibition, Maurice Lacroix presented their new range of watches, including the Pontos Décentrique Phases de Lune, limited to 500 pieces only.
Right from the start, the Pontos “décentrique” family has been liberating itself from classical watchmaking to make a difference in the world of haute horlogerie. The breakaway is now complete: a worthy descendant of the Pontos Décentrique GMT model launched in 2006, this new moon-phase timepiece proclaims its individuality in its turn.
Covered by a sapphire crystal with AR coatings on both sides, the face of the Pontos Décentrique Phases de Lune is a joy to look at! The minutes are displayed at 10 o’clock on an off-center dial: a single, solo hand tracks the minutes, while the hours appear gradually on a disc below the minutes dial. Opposite, at 4 o’clock, two superimposed discs – in metallized sapphire – unveils the phases and age of the moon; the other, positioned below it and connected directly to the hours disk, bears the day/night indication. Meanwhile, the date indication is located at 6 o’clock. Inscribed on a disk driven by a special, internally developed transfer system, it is revealed to the light of day in a window of metallized glass.
The titanium case measures 45 mm in diameter and encloses the self-winding ML122 mechanical movement. This movement has been created, developed and manufactured by Maurice Lacroix.
Truth needs to be told that you are setting yourself apart from the rest of the watch loving crowd when buying a haute horlogerie piece from the relative young Maurice Lacroix manufacture. The easiest way to spend your hard earned thousands of dollars (or euros) is to go to the nearest Rolex or IWC dealer and buy yourself a known timepiece. But exclusive? You might be looking out for (young) brands like Maurice Lacroix who are aiming to stand out from the horological crowd by creating exceptional and rare timepieces like this Pontos Décentrique Phases de Lune.
As for specifications on this watch:
- Titanium, Ф 45mm, with rough sandblasted finishing
- Hardening and anti-fingerprints treatment
- Domed sapphire crystal featuring anti-reflective coating on both sides
- Screwed case back with large sapphire crystal, limited edition number marking
- Large Ф 7mm crown with radial pattern for good handling
- Large “quick corrector” for moon-phase adjustments integrated at 2 o’clock
- Water resistant to 50 m / 5 atm
- The design of the dial, featuring an off-centered display, is a glowing tribute to our contemporary re-interpretation signature
- Large opening revealing the dragging hours disc at 10 o’clock and the moon-phases and day/night discs at 4 o’clock
- Integrated sapphire crystal with metal-coating, highlighting the large date opening at 6 o’clock
- Moon-age indication at 4o’clock, displaying the days remaining to the full moon
- Available exclusively in black, featuring diamond-cut applied hour markers on a velvety finishing
Hands and discs:
- Dragging hours disc with large numbers in white Superluminova C1 (blue emission)
- Diamond-cut faceted minutes hand with white Superluminova C1 (blue emission)
- Day/Night disc
- Sapphire moon disc with metal-coated moon turning over the day/night disc
- Black large scales genuine alligator strap with black calf lining and matching stitching
- Titanium folding clasp with pushers and pinch system
- Sandblasted finishing
In-house mechanical self-winding movement:
- Caliber ML 122 module of complication, created, developed and manufactured by Maurice Lacroix
- Off-centre design with dragging hour disc, moon-phase and day/night indication by disc
- Patent pending on date disc: driving system with mobile connecting base movement and complication module allowing a higher position and therefore better visibility of the date disc
- Vibration: 28 800 alt/h, 4Hz
- Power reserve: 38 hours
- Jewels: 28
- Adjustment: 3 positions after full winding and after 24 hours
- Decoration: Rhodium coated movement, hand- decorated circular-grain, snail, côtes de Genève